Washing machines are a vital part of every home, so when yours breaks down it can be extremely frustrating. If you find your LG washing machine not turning on, there are a few possible reasons why. This can be a very common problem, almost as common as a washer smelling bad. Let’s look at some of the most common causes and help you troubleshoot them so you can get your machine up and running again.
Why Is My LG Washing Machine Not Turning On?
When you notice your LG washing machine not turning on, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue. The first thing to do is make sure that the power source for your washer is working properly.
1: Issue with the LG Washer Power Source
Just like when your dryer won’t start, the power source is the first place to look when your LG washer won’t start.
- Check to see if the outlet the washer is plugged into has power and if the cord hasn’t become damaged.
- Next, check the breaker box to ensure that the circuit breaker for the washer hasn’t been tripped.
- If you’re using an extension cord, try to plug it directly in, since the power draw of the washer can sometimes be too high for a lower-gauge extension cord.
2: Problem with the Washer Door Switch
Another common reason why an LG washer turns on but won’t start is that the door isn’t shut properly. The door must be shut all the way in order for the washer to start.
- Look to see if the door is fully closed and make sure there’s nothing blocking it, if there is, remove it and close it firmly.
- In some cases, the door switch may be damaged and will need to be replaced. This will cause the washer to not start even if the door is shut all the way.
3: Wiring Issues in the LG Washer
If you’ve checked the power source and the door switch, and the washer still won’t turn on, there may be an issue with the wiring. Check any visible wiring connections to make sure they’re secure and not damaged. There may also be an issue with the control board or another electrical component in the washer. In this case, it’s best to call a qualified technician to diagnose and repair the issue.
4: LG Washing Machine Control Issues
In some cases, the issue may be with the washing machine controls themselves. If you find the LG washing machine start button not responding, there may be a problem with the control panel.
- You can try resetting the washing machine by unplugging it for a few minutes and then plugging it back in.
- Check out the child safety lock if your washing machine has one. This may be engaged and not allowing the washer to start. You can usually turn this off by holding the rinse and spin buttons together for 3 seconds.
- If your start delay feature is on, your washer won’t start until the selected time. Make sure this isn’t the case before moving on to other troubleshooting steps.
5: Defective LG Washer Motor
If none of the other troubleshooting steps have worked, the issue may be with the washing machine motor, or with another part of the drive system. This is a more serious issue that will require the help of a qualified technician.
These are some of the most common reasons for an LG washing machine not turning on. If you’ve tried all of these troubleshooting steps and your washer still won’t turn on, it may be time to get in touch with our team of expert washing machine repair technicians. Happy washing!